It is certainly not easy to write compelling content especially one that needs to be engaging and perform well for organic traffic. The ultimate goal of content is for the readers to take the action that your business will benefit from. Below are some guidelines and tips on how to write SEO-friendly content.
- What is the Meaning of SEO Content Writing?
- 1. Keyword Research
- 2. Structure
- 3. Title
- 3. Heading
- 4. Paragraphs
- 5. Transition Words
- 6. Word Count
- 7. Internal Linking
- 8. Cross-Channel Amplification
What is the Meaning of SEO Content Writing?
The whole point of writing SEO-friendly content is to ensure the content website will land on the top keyword ranking positions to achieve significant organic traffic volume to the website. This will require keyword research and proper content structure to match the searchers’ intent.
1. Keyword Research
Before writing SEO-friendly content, you must do your homework by conducting in-depth keyword research. You need to establish guidelines and tips to identify the right topics and keywords that will target the audience that you want.
Choosing the proper keywords is essential to having a successful content publication and below are the criteria:
- Search volume – is it enough volume/traffic for you to achieve your ultimate goal, understand that even at position 1 you can roughly obtain 20-30% of the search volume
- Search Intent – why are people searching for this keyword? Are they in the awareness, consideration, or purchase stage
- Competitiveness – are there many other top authorities competing for websites targeting this term including paid advertisements being invested
Make sure to have a clear writing structure guideline and tips with the following elements for your SEO-friendly content:
- Introduction – give a brief clear intro to explain what your readers are about to read
- Body – this is the meat of the plate; give the readers the full and detailed information but make sure it’s clear and concise as well
- Conclusion – summarize the main points to help readers remember and take away at least these essential information
Your title determines how much traffic will enter your SEO-friendly content page. It needs to have the following elements to help the content perform well in search results:
- Target Keyword – properly place the target keyword(s) within the title
- Character Count – the title cannot exceed and be too short of the 60-character space limit
Your headings are going to be the next top important writing tip. If your content is extensive, it’s best to break it into separate subheadings and paragraphs. Make sure there is only one H1 tag, and the rest of the subsections should use H2, H3, etc. as necessary.
Keep the paragraphs short with about 2-3 sentences and feel free to use other advanced SERP feature-friendly format styles such as the below:
- Listicles/Bullet Points
- Bolded/Highlighted Text
- Table Charts
5. Transition Words
It’s important to use these transitional words so people can easily read quickly from one paragraph or sentence to the next. Some examples are below:
- In addition
6. Word Count
There is no definitive number for the number of words you need on a page however it is best to have around 300-500 words minimum and up to 1000 words is ideal for suitable long-form content.
7. Internal Linking
One of the most overlooked guidelines is to figure out what other content one can link from and to that already exists on your internal website. Look for related topic content and feel free to adjust the textual content to create opportunities to interlink if the opportunity isn’t there already. This can greatly help boost the pages with the most links as search engines can attribute more traffic and value to your other pages.
8. Cross-Channel Amplification
The quickest and best way to get your content out there is through other marketing channels including the following:
- Paid Search
- Social Media
- Referral Websites
To write SEO -friendly content you will need to have proper guidelines for keyword research, title, heading, paragraph, transition words, proper word count, internal linking, and cross-channel amplification.